A “cookie” is a small piece of text received from a website and stored on a user's computer by a web browser. Each time the web browser requests a page from the web server this message is sent back to the web server.
- track your visit to the Site; and
- customise your experience of the Site
No personal information about you is contained in the cookie but in certain circumstances we may match the cookie to your personal information that you disclose to us or that we already hold.
- We set a cookie when you log into our website:
- we will use a cookie to recognise your visit until you log out or close your browser[, except if you select the “always remember me” option, in which case the cookie will remain on your computer until you log out or delete the cookie.
- if you disclose personal information to us (for example, during the registration process) we may be able to match this information to the web pages that you have looked at for marketing or administrative reasons; and
If you wish, you can set your browser to notify you before you receive a cookie so you have the chance to accept it and you can also set your browser to refuse to receive or send all cookies. The web site www.allaboutcookies.org (run by the Interactive Marketing Bureau) contains step-by-step guidance on how cookies can be switched off by users.
Information which we obtain about you
You can view the Site or download the Application without registering with us, but you have to register via Facebook or your Jo Loves account in order to submit comments or photographs to the Site or the Application. We ask visitors who register with us (“Users”) to supply us with personal information. The types of information collected on these pages are your name, home address, email address and country of residence Most of this information may be entered at your discretion. However, if you withhold requested information, we may not be able to provide you with certain services.
You may provide us with additional personal information, including personal information related to other people, in the course of using the Site and/or Application, for instance photographs of other people’s favourite smells, their name, the date and location of the photograph and other information. You must get their consent as set out in our Guidelines before submitting photographs of them to the Site or via the Application.
When you connect via Facebook, a photograph of you and your name will form part of your profile page together with the photographs you mark as your favourites and any comments you make via the Site or Application. You can edit the ‘About me’ section on your Profile and you can choose to have your profile page deleted by selecting to remove your profile via the Site or Application, but please note the photographs and comments you submit to the Site or via the Application will remain on the Site and Application indefinitely even if you decide to stop being a user.
Any information disclosed in your profile or in comments and photographs you submit become public information and you should always be careful in deciding whether to disclose personal information.
What we do with your information
By using the Site and/or Application, you agree that we may use your information (including personal information) for the purposes of:
- verifying your identity (for example when you return to the Site or Application);
- personalising your visits to the Site and use of the Application and developing the design and style of the Site and Application to improve the services provided to you;
- informing you about the latest changes to the Site or Application that you might find interesting;
- dealing with, and responding to you about, a photograph, comment or other content you have submitted to the Site or via the Application or a complaint you have lodged about content submitted to the Site or via the Application;
- contacting you to ask about photographs and/or comments you have submitted to the Site or via the Application, for instance to verify whether you got the consent of people in the photographs for their image to appear on the Site and Application;
- communicating (and personalising such communication) with you including through sending you marketing communications. Please see the section ‘Jo Loves Communications’ below;
- informing you if you have been successful in any Site or Application competitions or promotions;
- conducting market research; and
- carrying out statistical, technical and logistical analysis
Will you disclose any of my personal data to third parties?
We may disclose your personal data to third parties in the following circumstances:
Third party service providers: Under protection of confidentiality agreements, we use third parties to provide services and manage our sites and relationships with you. These may include website hosting and organisations that assist us in our direct marketing activities. Third-party processors and providers will be given access only to that information needed to perform their support functions, and are prohibited from using it for other purposes.
Direct marketing: See below, under ‘Jo Loves Communications’ for further information.
Reorganisation: In the event that we or a part of our business undergo re-organisation, enters into a joint venture or are sold to or merged with a third party, you agree that any personal information we hold about you may be transferred to that re-organised entity or third party. You may always opt-out of hearing from these third parties.
Legal issues: In some cases we may be required to disclose your personal information to comply with legal requirements and requests from government agencies.
Transfer of personal data outside the EEA
Countries outside the European Economic Area may not always have strong data protection laws. However, we will always take steps to ensure that your information is used by third parties in accordance with this Policy and that it is kept secure.
Changes and Information
In accordance with your rights under the Data Protection Act 1998, you may request the amendment of the personal information held. Should you wish to have your information updated or corrected please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You have a right to access the personal data we hold about you. If you wish to obtain a copy of this information, update your details or remove your personal data from our records, please contact us at email@example.com enclosing your postal details.
Jo Loves Communications
We may use your personal information to send you:
- newsletters and information of any changes or additions to the Site and/or Application;
- information we think you may find useful or which you have requested from us, including information about Jo Loves products and services,
provided you have consented by “opting-in” to being contacted for these purposes.
You can tell us not to contact you with information regarding our products either at the point such information is collected on our Site or via the Application (by not ticking the relevant “opt-in” box), or by using the unsubscribe link listed in the email or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We recognise the need to ensure that personal information gathered via this website remains secure. Our site has standard security measures installed in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the personal information under our control. You acknowledge that although we exercise adequate care and security there remains a risk that information transmitted over the Internet and stored by computer may be intercepted or accessed by an unauthorised third party.